(Effective as of May 23, 2018)
What is Sickweather doing to be compliant with GDPR?
The following brief descriptions provide an outline of what Sickweather is doing to be compliant with the European Union’s GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation).
RIGHT TO ACCESS
How does Sickweather collect your information?
- When you visit or use the Sickweather app or website (“Properties”) to voluntarily submit information to us to create a user profile or when you connect a social media account to our Properties, you may provide us with personal information (PI). This may include, but is not limited to, your name and email address. You may also provide us with demographic and other information such as your gender, ethnicity, date of birth, postal code, geolocation, medical preferences or self-reported health condition (e.g., allergies, cold, or flu). We may associate PI and other data that you provide with other information we gather from use of the Properties or obtain from third parties.
Information we collect outside of our Properties:
Information we automatically collect from your use of the Sickweather Properties:
- Geo-location information: When you use certain features of the Sickweather Platform, we may collect information about your precise or approximate location as determined through data such as your IP address or mobile device’s GPS to offer you an improved user experience. Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services for applications in the device’s settings menu. Sickweather may also collect this information even when you are not using the app if this connection is enabled through your settings or device permissions.
- Usage information: We collect information about your interactions with our Properties such as the pages or content you view/search and other actions you take in the App or on our website.
- Log Data and device information: We automatically collect log data and device information when you access and use Sickweather Properties, even if you have not created a Sickweather Account or logged in. That information includes, among other things: details about how you’ve used the Sickweather Platform (including if you clicked on links to third party applications), IP address, access dates and times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information, unique identifiers, crash data, cookie data, and the pages you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the Sickweather Platform.
How is Sickweather using the data they collect on individuals?
- We may use the information collected from or about the users of our Properties for our business purposes. This includes items such as understanding our user’s behavior and improving the user experience of the Properties, building infectious disease models, processing and confirming transactions, performing research and product development and sending out marketing communications on behalf of Sickweather and on behalf of third parties.
How is your data used to improve Sickweather and provide a mutual benefit to you and its users?
- Enable you to access and use Sickweather Properties.
- Enable you to communicate with us and share information with others.
- Operate, protect, improve, and optimize our Properties and experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research.
- Provide customer service.
- Send you service or support messages, updates, public health notifications, SickZoneTM alerts, security alerts, and account notifications.
- If you provide us with your contact information, we may process this information: (i) to facilitate your referral invitations, (ii) send your requests for references, (iii) for fraud detection and prevention, and (iv) for any purpose you authorize at the time of collection.
- To operate, protect, improve, and optimize the Sickweather Properties and experience, and personalize and customize your experience (such as Live Map), we conduct profiling based on your interactions with our Properties.
How is your data used to personalize, measure and improve our advertising and marketing?
- Send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your preferences (including information about Sickweather or partner campaigns and services) and social media advertising through social media platforms such as Facebook or Google).
- Personalize, measure, and improve our advertising.
- Administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by Sickweather or its third-party partners.
- Conduct profiling on your characteristics and preferences (based on the information you provide to us), your interactions with the Sickweather Platform and information obtained from third parties to send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising and other information that we think may be of interest to you.
- Where permissible according to applicable law we may use certain limited personal information about you, such as your email address, to hash it and to share it with social media platforms, such as Facebook or Google, to generate leads, drive traffic to our websites or otherwise promote our products and services. These processing activities are based on our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to offer you products or services that may be of your interest.
- We may also share aggregated information (information about our users that we combine together so that it no longer identifies or references an individual user) and other anonymized information for regulatory compliance, industry and market analysis, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
RIGHT TO BE FORGOTTEN
How can someone obtain the information Sickweather has collected on them?
- You can request a complete machine-readable export of your data history on Sickweather, in addition to the administrative tools for users that Sickweather already provides via the Sickweather mobile app by sending a request to email@example.com.
How can someone have their information deleted from Sickweather’s database and how will they know it has been deleted?
How will Sickweather confirm someone requesting their information be deleted or transferred is really that person?
- Sickweather will verify that the email address of the account holder is the same as the requestor by sending a confirmation email to that address. The requestor will need access to the email accounts associated with the account in order to verify ownership.
TURN OFF DATA SHARING WITH ADVERTISERS
Does Sickweather share my information with advertisers?
How can someone stop their information from being shared with advertisers?
Does Sickweather share information it collects with other organizations?
- We will make certain information that you choose to provide to us publicly available. For example, when you report a health status, we will make this report publicly available on our Properties. This public report will not include PI. Additionally, when you choose to connect your social media accounts (i.e., accounts from third party social media services, such as Facebook and Twitter, “Social Media Accounts”) with the Properties, we may publish any information that we receive from your social media account, including information about your actions taken on the social media platform.
- We work with third party companies who help us provide and improve our Services or who use advertising or related products, which makes it possible to operate our companies and provide free services to people around the world.
USAGE OF TRACKER BLOCKERS
Users may use browser extensions or add-ons which prevent their browsing activity from being tracked. References to popular browser tracking blockers can be found here: http://sick.io/blockers
WHY SICKWEATHER COLLECTS DATA
Why exactly is Sickweather archiving this data instead of erasing it?
- Sickweather uses data crowdsourced from its Properties to build forecasts and models used in the prediction and tracking of illness. The archived data may be used occasionally to retrain a prediction model or be redistilled with updated methods.
Why is Sickweather saving all this data?
- Sickweather uses data crowdsourced from its Properties to build forecasts and models used in the prediction and tracking of illness. The saved data can be used to improve disease surveillance and prediction modeling.
What is Sickweather trying to achieve by collecting all these categories of personal information?
- Sickweather collects this data to improve the accuracy of the data we provide our users as well as the user experience on our Properties.
- To improve the infectious disease models to predict the spread of illness across geographies and demographics.
Is Sickweather’s financial gain of deleting this information greater than encrypting it?
- No, Sickweather’s financial gain of deleting this information is not greater than encrypting it.
Does Sickweather market to children?
- Our Properties are not directed to children under the age of 13 and children under the age of 13 should not use any of our Properties. Sickweather also does not knowingly collect or maintain information collected online from children under the age of 13.
What is the communication plan in case of a data breach?
- Sickweather will inform users and clients via email within 72 hours of a known data breach, and may inform media partners and/or Federal agencies as well depending on the significance of the breach.
Who is your Data Protection Officer?